Sunday, June 6, 2010

cereal and buns

The last couple days have been a blur, hanging out with various people. Every day since Friday, I was involved with food, and it was pretty fun.

Friday-I went to the Colonnade, invited by a guest. They had a nice albeit small pool on their coveted 11th floor, although their view left something to be desired, especially with 10 other buildings being able to look DOWN on the roof.

Saturday-Coolidge Corner has a Friendly's Express, meaning Free Scoop Day on the 5th was a go. Along with some high school friends, I got 2 cones, and then some Buy 1, Get 1 Free at J.P. Licks. No lie, J.P. Licks has the much better ice cream.

Sunday-Lunch was at Pearl Villa. Shrimp chips, flat noodles, beef, and crispy chicken were good choices, but still were too many vegetables. After losing my umbrella, there was some game time at church with old school Bomberman, Mario, Paperboy, and Chessmaster.

Probably what I really needed most was sleep, and with all these catnaps I'm taking, it needs to be a priority. In the upcoming month, I am looking for a challenge, a new project, a new hobby; learning to rap was only the tip of the iceberg. At the same time, I have to balance the whole running shenanigans; the stomach's getting wider every day.

===================================================================================

Today, we continued the talks in our series "Fundamentals of Sex" in Sunday School. Discussion questions of how leadership looks like in the workplace, church and home were put out there. From our group, we came to the general consensus that good leadership qualities carry across the board and are independent of setting (e.g, good listener, humble, has integrity, etc). We also concluded that the setting will influence how leaders may act due to different incentive structures, and because of that, the quality of the leader may be worse; climbing the corporate ladder has its own motivation, whereas being a small group leader or head of the household may exhibit a different showing of a leader.

While relaying that thought to the rest of the class, I realized midway that I was catching myself from offending some people. The recurrent issue of church leaders and how in BCEC there are no female pastors was brought up in the open discussion, and it got me thinking of 1) how sensitive is this issue to the women, and 2) how sensitive is this an issue to the church as a whole. My understanding of the whole matter is limited, but I grasp a couple of key concepts:

1) Some women take it hard because it feels like the church puts the end all of leadership in its place.
2) Some women are alright with the way the leadership element is presented, because they honestly feel that there is nothing wrong with the current model.
3) Some people do not know or attempt to know the matters concerning leadership and what the "proper model" should be in the church (I included in this boat).
4) There is a part in Scripture which I cannot find the reference now that says that men should be the leaders.

I am not going to personally comment on those 4 points, partially because I don't throw gasoline on fires, and my knowledge needs to be expanded more on this whole issue. What I am going to say is this: in these past weeks, I've found that my outlook on people isn't specifically gender based, that is to say, if a male waiter served me lunch or a female police officer gave me directions, I wouldn't attribute their actions to gender. Their actions don't need to account for gender.

At the same time, I'm not looking down on anyone or giving extra expectations to men or women when doing anything. I believe that anyone is capable of anything if they actually try (yes, there are biological actions that the genders can do, but that's not the point). Perhaps it's a fault of mine that recognizes and sees more to a person than mere physicality. At the same time though, I gripe, wondering if that's only me and my habit of oversimplification. "Now that nagging thought comes that I may be overthinking again :("

What I'm trying to say is while gender is albeit an unavoidable part in any area of life, it should not come into play so much in the larger picture. Having good relationships with your peers, being a leader, and conducting yourself in the right manner-a male is not inherently better than a female, and a female is not inherently better than a male. Everyone does things different, and many qualities of men and women, ones that seem internalized like aggression or listening, are not exclusive. Life is much more than being locked in by personality traits and physical limitations.

===================================================================================

My body works too fast for my mind. My mind works too fast for my body.

No comments: