Sunday, January 1, 2012

fruity pebbles, crappy vegetable juice

It feels like a while since I actually blogged a personal reflection rather than a "hey, this is how my X went". Christmas was a good time for learning, but it wasn't something that I would have encountered had I not broken the rules of convention.

I was talking to a friend today, whom I hadn't seen in a while. While catching up with him, we went into a discussion of Reddit and the face of the internet today, that it revolved around social media. We also came to the conclusion of information overload, in that we're getting so much information. As useful as it is, we spend hours on ending soaking up all the information that we're neglecting our other duties, deluding ourselves in thinking that we're being productive.

That being said, I thought of something another friend said to me, that "I always tend to find a loophole in whatever is said." I think that is true, in that I do, but not for nefarious or underhanded reasons. Rather, I'm always looking to see things from the other side of the coin, and checking to see if I can make things better.

Concerning the loophole, it goes back to how the market plays itself out. On the one side, people are looking for one entity to depend on to get their information/services/resources. Yet people are afraid that if this entity gets too large and powerful, it would go out of control and effectively destroy everything around them.

On the other side, we're looking for straight efficiency and keeping costs down. It's why we outsource and use cheap labor, in order to push comparative and absolute advantage. However, seen from a different light, going about those methods means the end of unions and American jobs.

Constantly, I find myself having to act like a chameleon in order to meet the needs and demands of others. Again though, the conflictions continue and there seems to be no end.

Posted via email from Bloodscope Economics

No comments: